28. August 2013
Arizona , Humor
Note: A friend had reposted the following list on the Internet... I love these kinds of lists, because they always provide you with a chance to laugh at your surroundings in a way that only someone with intimate knowledge of the area can appreciate.
You Know You're From Arizona When...
- You can say "Hohokam" and no one thinks you're making it up.
- You no longer associate rivers or bridges with water.
- You know that a "swamp cooler" is not a happy hour drink.
- You can contemplate a high temperature of 120 degrees as "not all that bad, after all it's a dry heat."
- You have learned to expertly maneuver your vehicle under any traffic conditions using only two fingers; a skill usually learned initially in July.
- You know that you can make sun tea outside faster than instant tea in your microwave.
- You have to run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so that you can use your fireplace.
- The water coming from the "cold" tap is hotter than that from the hot" tap.
- You can correctly pronounce the following words: "Saguaro", "Tempe", "Gila Bend", "San Xavier del Bac", "Canyon de Chelly", "Mogollon Rim", "Cholla", and "Tlaquepacque", "Ajo".
- It's noon on a weekday in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one single person is moving on the streets.
- Hot air balloons can't fly because the air outside is hotter than the air inside.
- You buy salsa by the gallon.
- Your Christmas decorations include a half a yard of sand and 100 paper bags.
- You think a red light is merely a suggestion.
- All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.
- You think someone driving while wearing oven mitts is clever.
- Most of the restaurants in your town have the first name "El" or "Los."
- You think six tons of crushed rock makes a beautiful yard.
- You can say 115 degrees without fainting.
- Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.
- People break out coats when the temperature drops below 70.
- The pool can be warmer than you are.
- Most people will not drink tap water unless they are under dire conditions.
- Monday Night Football starts at 7:00 instead of 9:00.
- You realize Valley Fever isn't a disco dance.
- People with black cars or have black upholstery in their car are automatically assumed to be from out-of-state or nuts.
- You know better than to get into a car/truck with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.
- Announcements for Fourth of July events always end with "in case of monsoon..."
- You have to explain to out-of-staters why there is no daylight savings time.
- When someone asks how far you live from a location, it's always in terms of minutes/hours, not miles.
- Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
- You can say "haboob" without giggling.
- You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
Ah, so true, so true... ;-)